Leaning a foreign language has more benefits than you probably think. Here is a good starter list why you should start to learn a foreign language today.
When you learn a foreign language you will:
1. Have an instant conversation starter – Think of how fascinated you are when you find someone who knows a foreign language. Most people find foreign languages and those who speak them interesting and it sparks instant questions, such as, “Did you actually live there?”
2. Make new friends more easily – There is something mysterious and exotic about talking to someone who knows a foreign language, and people seem to open up and let down their guard much more quickly when they find out that you know a foreign tongue.
3. Have a better understanding of yourself and other people – Contrast is the best way to tell any two things apart and learning a foreign language and the associated culture lets you get outside of yourself and allows you to see yourself they way others see you. At the same time, language is culture. You can’t get very far into a language without stepping into whole different way of looking at the world. It is true that, once you have learned a foreign language, you will never see yourself or others like you did before.
4. Be able to say things that no one understands and still be considered intelligent – When you are speaking to someone in your own language and make no sense, you are considered stupid. When you express the same concept in a foreign language, people will think you are smart, especially if you smile while you talk.
5. Be considered more intelligent than you really are – People who know a foreign language are considered smart – even if you aren’t the sharpest knife in the drawer.
6. Be able to talk privately in public – Did you ever want to have a private conversation while in public? Maybe you wanted to tell a friend that he or she has toilette paper stuck to their shoe – or to the back of the pants, but don’t want to announce to it the crowd. Foreign languages come in very handy on these occasions.
7. Understand your own language better – In order to understand a foreign language, you will inevitably understand your own much better. It does come in handy to know your own grammar. In the context of learning a foreign language, it is actually fun.
8. Know more about how people in other countries live – Do they still ride donkeys in the country you are about to vacation in or is it actually much more advanced than in your own country? Languages have a home just like people, so when you learn a foreign language, you will learn about the land in which they were born.
9. Get a better job – The world is daily becoming smaller and more competitive. With so many people of similar qualifications, it can be a huge boost to have foreign language knowledge on your resume. Also, you will be able to land those fun, temporary, all-expenses-paid assignments in foreign countries just because you know the language.
10. Have more fun on your vacation – If you learn a foreign language and take a vacation in a country where that language is spoken, you can have more fun and less stress getting around. This time when you are smiling and nodding it is because you understand what the taxi driver is actually saying and can adjust the tip accordingly.